Sunday, March 28, 2010

Ghost Story


LOVE Madison, WI- this is the 3rd or 4th time we’ve played there, and every time I go I discover something new and interesting. Kudos for having over 400 concerts a year to choose from, and many of them free. In addition to a recital, this visit we had a blast playing the Beethoven Triple with the U of W Symphony Orchestra- under the lively direction of maestro James Smith. It was such a pleasure to play with such a talented group of musicians! They did a tremendous job and it was a lot of fun to chat about various music camps and festivals, etc..
Between rehearsals and performances, we got to explore this fabulously liberal town- there is so much to see in terms of quirky architecture (my favorite). A highlight was eating at the lobby restaurant at the Orpheum Theatre- such good food! The server was nice enough to let me wander around so I visited every level of course- apparently there is a female ghost there. I am kind of skeptical about that sort of thing, but I have to say it was creepy enough to give me some chills! The Wisconsin Union Theatre also had that great historic vibe- loved all of the old posters dating back from the 30’s. I hope that when they renovate they don’t replace the fantastic art deco chairs in the dressing rooms- or mess too much with the great acoustics!
I could on and on, but before I go I just have to say thanks to Sara for recommending the Tornado Room- I had some amazing Venison there and the authentic 50’s interior was killer! I ate my way through Madison- one of the best breakfasts EVER at Marigold Kitchen- it was well worth the ridiculous wait… My stomach thanks you Madison!xo Erika

No comments: